About Glaser's Bake Shop
In 1896, twelve years after settling in America, John and Justine were married in St. Joseph's Church of Yorkville. Justine liked St. Joseph's Church so much that when she saw there was a building and store for sale right around the corner, she told John about it and they decided to buy it. The three story building and store were purchased and on April 2, 1902, the bakery located at 1670 First Avenue, just off the corner of 87th Street was opened for business.
John and Justine continued to work in their bakery and Josephine, John's mother would at times help out also. As years went by John and Justine had a total of five children born at home. The youngest child, Herbert took over the bakery at the age of 18 shortly after his father died in 1933. In 1942 Herbert was called into active duty and was forced to leave the business to attend his services. Upon returning from his duties, he married in 1948. Herbert and his wife Anne had four children, John, Herbert, Walter and Catherine. His two sons, John and Herbert continue to work there today and keep the bakery business in operation to this day.